Saturday, December 27, 2008

Last to go...

"These damn silences and pauses are all to do with what's going on … and if they don't make any sense, then I always say cut them. I think they've been taken much too far these silences and pauses in my plays. I've really been extremely depressed when I've seen productions in which a silence happens because it says silence or a pause happens because it says pause. And it's totally artificial and meaningless.

When I myself act in my own plays, which I have occasionally, I've cut half of them, actually."

-Harold Pinter

No witty en memoriam "pause" quips from me. Thank you for your words, Mr. Pinter, that's how I'll remember you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man: Yes, it was the 'Evening News' was the last to go tonight.

Barman: Not always the last though, is it, though?

Man: No. Oh no. I mean sometimes it's the 'News'. Other times it's one of the others. No way of telling beforehand. Until you've got your last one left, of course. Then you can tell which one it's going to be.

Barman: Yes.

Pause.

Man: Oh yes.

Pause.

I think he must have left the area.

- The final lines of "Last To Go"


Rest in peace.


P.Rekk
2008

No comments: