Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Now that that's out of the way...

Well then...

You'll have to pardon the pretentious prose of the last blog. My own personal guiding light or something along those lines. Proper introductions (as I am fairly certain that my brief time spent in the Chicago theatre scene does not precede me): I'm Paul Rekk. I do theatre shit. Add as many entendres to that as you feel necessary.

I'm starting this blog for a number of reasons while all the while turning a blind eye to the largest reason not to: Jesus H., there's a lot of bloggers out there. Why add to the glut? Good fekkin' question. I'd like to think it's because I have something interesting to say. And really, as far as I'm concerned, I do. Alas and alack, that's an opinion that I don't know is really held by all that many others. Which is why I'm packing backup reasons, because I'm that damn thoughtful.

Along with my self-proclaimed status as a writer, actor, etc., see the description on the side, I'm also a big ol' lazy procrastinator. Really, my follow-through sucks -- hard. This tends to be a negative influence on my artistic output, as procrastination is wont to do. But in some whacked out recess of my mind, it makes perfect sense to take writing time away to maintain this blog in order to convince me to spend the remaining writing time actually, y'know, writing. Don't question it, just play along.

Thirdly -- are we at thirdly yet? -- is largely due to all (well, at least some) of those Jesus H. bloggers out there. I've recently began keeping an eye on a core of Chicago theatre bloggers. It's an inspiring group who are passionate about their art, and, which is even more exciting, are passionate about their art as it relates to Chicago.

But perhaps the best part is how apparent the diversity of the Chicago theatre scene can be made from just a scant few members. There are blogs that regular hit all the right chords (with me, that is), and there are blogs with which I can't seem to find a whole lot of anything to agree on (ed: look at me, making friends already...). But they know what they want and they know what they think and they're willing to state it. And most, most, most importantly: they're participating in an active dialogue. These are the people most responsible for the evolution of Chicago theatre, not only because of their active participation, but because of the constant transmission of ideas amongst one another.

Don Hall's recent 'revolutionary' blog (which was largely responsible for me continuing this blog beyond the manifesto of sorts that began it), is inspiring in its call to arms for the rebels (individuals?) to come out and play, but I would add that the most important quality an individual as such can possess is that rare ability to do their own thing while holding court with those that oppose.

The idea that either everyone is right or no one is right and no matter which, I am as right (or as wrong) as everyone else is the paradox from which the beauty of the artistic process emerges. Ego indeed can be productive, but only when it's willing to play.

But there I go on the pretentious side again (I warn you, it's a personality hazard. If you plan to visit regularly, you may have to brace yourself).

The greater point here is an unabashed dedication to a circle who has no idea of my awareness into which I am about to thrust myself regardless. Consider it a pre-apology as well.

P.Rekk
2007

No comments: